RE: Save Hayashibara Museum (Update + Second push)

Rescued from sender-not-subscribed filter:

From: "Shimada, Kenshu" <KSHIMADA@depaul.edu>
To: "vrtpaleo@usc.edu" <VRTPALEO@usc.edu>, <dinosaur@usc.edu>,
  <paleonet-bounces@nhm.ac.uk>
Cc: <wmahito@pop16.odn.ne.jp>, <moldavicum@pa2.so-net.ne.jp>
Subject: RE: Save Hayashibara Museum (Update + Second push)
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 08:46:23 -0600

Hi Everyone,

Here is a brief summary of what I have learned from Dr. Mahito Watabe
about the future of the Hayashibara Museum of Natural Sciences in Japan.
The information is largely based on the attorneys' report presented late
last week.  Please note that the message below has been reviewed by the
museum staff to make sure that I have not misinterpreted the situation.

A new company is expected to begin taking over the Hayashibara Company
in early March.  Then, new strategic planning of the company under the
new management will take place through late July this year.  As of now,
the exact fate of the museum remains unknown beyond that point, but not
having a concrete answer has been better news than having the decision
to close the museum immediately.

The museum will not receive any regular operational budget from the
company headquarters, and it is uncertain as to how long this situation
will continue.  However, I am pleased to note that President Fukuda was
apparently quite impressed by all the supporting letters the museum
received from us (people in the paleontology community), and we hope
that the letters have given leverage for the museum staff to convince
the headquarters the importance of the well-being of its scientific
specimens.  So, if you were one of the letter contributors, THANK YOU,
THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!

Our next 'battle' to preserve the museum and its research activities
(note that the museum does also hold many non-Mongolian specimens) is
anticipated to take place in July, so please stay tuned as I may post
messages regarding the matter around that time.  Once again, THANK YOU
for your help and support!

Kenshu
_________________________
Kenshu Shimada, Ph.D.