Re: What did Spinosaurus eat? New species of Lepidotes found

On 2/21/2011 8:24 PM, Tim Williams wrote:

_Masiakasaurus_  was only
2m long, and has craniodental features (like procumbent front teeth)
that suggest that it might have been a fish-eater.  If correct, this
in turn suggests that_Masiakasaurus_  habitually entered the water.
Is this the kind of animal that could have given rise to a fully
aquatic lineage of non-avian theropods?  (Not_Masiakasaurus_  itself,
given that it lived in the Maastrichtian.)

I agree the questions should be asked, as you said earlier. But what would such a critter look like, and how would it get there?

Could the arms be useful beyond a dog-paddle mode? Wouldn't penguin-style flapping require a _lot_ of re-arrangement?

Granted, water seems a friendly place to do such alterations -- that is a path to flight rarely discussed, btw. Theropod becomes underwater swimmer becomes terrestrial cliff-diver or ridgesoarer, or some such cartoon...

I think we talked briefly about water being where birds might done their 'pelvic re-arrangement' some years back.

Another question -- why were/are even the flightless dino's so committed to nesting? Did some part of their reproductive process get so optimized early-on that _any_ mutation is critically maladaptive?