RE: Latest K dinosaurian diversity trends

Paleosols from the Hell Creek Fm appear to represent different environments
than those typically found in the Dinosaur Park Fm. Dinosaur Park Fm paleosols
are better drained, with lower water tables compared to Hell Creek Paleosols.
The closest pedogenic analog to Dinosaur Park Fm paleosols are paleosols from
the upper section of the Horseshoe Canyon Fm.
To the best of my knowledge, paleosols that represent environments like those
seen in the Dinosaur Park and upper Horseshoe Canyon Fms have not yet been
described for upper Maastrichtian units in western North America. For info on
Hell Creek paleosols, see the ref below:

Retallack, G.J., Leahy, G.D. and Spoon, M.D., 1987. Evidence from paleosols for
ecosystem changes across the Cretaceous-Tertiary boundary in eastern Montana.
Geology, 15, 1090-1093.

Guy Leahy