Re: Ammonite Color

On Sun, Jan 9th, 2011 at 4:35 PM, "A. Gaeta" <dinoqueen@gmail.com> wrote:

> I remember reading somewhere that the scientific community made some
> sort of discovery about the color of ammonites. I read that the
> specimen observed was a dark, vivid red in life, which implies that
> ammonites may have been deep sea dwellers. Since then, I haven't seen
> anything relating to that theory. Could someone perhaps point me to a
> reading on this subject, or possibly confirm the existence of this
> theory?

This is probably discussed in the following paper:

Parker, A.R. 2000 "515 Million Years of Structural Colour". Journal of Optics
A: Pure and Applied
Optics 2(6).
Abstract: http://iopscience.iop.org/1464-4258/2/6/201

--

Diffraction grating studies have provided a lot of colour information for
extinct animals over the

Parker, A.R., 1998 Colour in Burgess Shale animals and the effect of light on
evolution in the
Cambrian. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London: Biological Sciences 265:
967-972.

Parker, A.R., 1995 Discovery of functional iridescence and its coevolution with
eyes in the
phylogeny of Ostracoda (Crustacea). Proceedings of the Royal Society of London:
Biological
Sciences 262: 349-355.
http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/262/1365/349.abstract

Vinther, J., Briggs, D. E. G., Prum, R. O, Saranathan, V. 2008. The colour of
fossil feathers. Biology
Letters 4: 522-525
http://www.yale.edu/eeb/prum/pdf/Vinther_etal_2008.pdf

Vinther,  J., Briggs, D. E. G., Clarke, J., Mayr, G.,  and Prum, R. O. 2010.
Structural colouration in
a fossil feather. Biology Letters. 6: 128-131
http://www.yale.edu/eeb/prum/pdf/Vinther%20et%20al%202010.pdf

Dann Pigdon