RE: Eodromaeus, new basal theropod from Triassic in Argentina

Jura/Jason wrote:

<I'm assuming you are referring to _Scansoriopteryx/Epidendrosaurus_ and
_Juravenator_. Both are specimens in which the alleged feather/scale
association is present, but both are also highly ambiguous examples. For
_Scansoriopteryx/Epidendrosaurus_ the authors mentioned that the scale
impression by the tail was not found in "articulation" with the tail and had
likely migrated from the tarsometatarsal region.>

  I'm only going to comment specifically on this. The authors of the paper in
question (Czerckas & Yuan, 2002) can neither confirm nor deny the original
position of the impression (unlike the filaments which are carbonized traces
left in the bedding plane and slightly atop it, the impressions are embedded
into the plane and are preserved in a higher grade of relief than the filaments
around the arms and back/neck. While much of the skeleton is dissarranged, the
entire body portion, hips, and tail are articulated, and it is unlikely that
the impression derives from elsewhere on the body. It is also irrelevant. My
understanding is that the authors chose this to bolster the restoration of a
fully filamented tail, which would not be contradicted by squamous impressions
in the tail as scale-tailed squirrels (*Anomalurus*) preserve a possible
analogue, where the tail is scaled ventrally but furred dorsally and laterally.

  Czerkas, S. J. & Yuan C. 2002. An arboreal maniraptoran from northeast China.
pg. 63-95 in Czerkas (ed.) _Feathered Dinosaurs and the Origin of Flight_. _The
Dinosaur Museum Journal 1_.

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
The Bite Stuff (site v2)