RE: terminology

  In this case, then, it is science bowing to art. Not following the ICZN in
this case would be a case of rejecting them; should they then choose to follow
some provisions of the Code while ignoring others, the whole point of the Code
(any of it) will be lost, and Chaos becomes the practitioner's friend. Imagine
if the prevailing usage, despite correction and appeal of a limited few,
supported *Brontosaurus* over *Apatosaurus*, including over the protest of Jack
McIntosh at the time this issue was most recently _public_? What if Bakker had
his way and we all used the latter name in all papers? The ICZN would bow to
prevailing usage, and I suspect it will do so here because the scientists at
hand refuse to consider the stability of nomenclature to be its own goal.

  We can see this with the australopithecine-hominine groups of hominids, where
a select few can enter such a sustained ideological refusal to acknowledge
taxonomic usage that it will be disruptive to the ability to communicate about
the groups in question. And I'm not even talking about religion, I'm talking
paleoanthropologists rejecting each others' taxonomies for the sake of their
own.

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
The Bite Stuff (site v2)