RE: Alabama senator Hillary Herbert & birds with teeth

Cope believed that humans were divided into what they would have called "races"
then,  those who were white he thought were more evolved,  those who were what
we could call "Asians" now, includes Native Americans were next and those who
we would now call "Africans" were least evolved.  Remember while he was an
evolutionist, Cope was NOT a Darwinist for what it is worth.  That had nothing
to do with his ideas of races, nor his being a racist.  His family who were
Quakers as you know, and so was he, did try to help freed slaves, to buy people
out of slavery etc.  He decried in print in a very angry way for example the
lynching of a man named Henry Smith who happened to be black.  So that was the
sort of racist Cope was.    Jane D

Dr. Jane  P. Davidson
Professor of History of Art
University ofNevada, Reno