Re: Alabama senator Hillary Herbert & birds with teeth

On Tue, Jan 25th, 2011 at 3:02 PM, Augusto Haro <augustoharo@gmail.com> wrote:

> So, Cope was the kind of racist which wanted to deny the civic right
> to vote to blacks, although was against slavery (so to him applied the
> then common anti-slavery but still racist viewpoint, "I have a bad
> opinion of blacks, and a worst one of slavery") and black lynching.
> So, he was in favor of blacks being alive and free to choose their
> work, but not free enough to have a voice in choosing the way the
> society they lived was ruled, or to support the factions which may
> have better serviced their basic needs, greater than those of the
> white.

He sounds positively progressive for his time.

Morality is a purely social construct that is always evolving. There is no
absolute 'right'. In a
hundred years time people may look back on your own sense of morality and
criticise it as well.

Dann Pigdon