Re: Alabama senator Hillary Herbert & birds with teeth

2011/1/25 Dann Pigdon <dannj@alphalink.com.au>:
> On Tue, Jan 25th, 2011 at 3:02 PM, Augusto Haro <augustoharo@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> He sounds positively progressive for his time.

If I understood Foucault right, it is a matter of power. And Cope made
his alliances with the powerful class, the one to which he belonged.
"Progressism" is just gift from the powerful, as the "left". Social
relationships change with technology, and the owners of the new
productive means will always talk about the goods of the new order
comparing it favourably with the other, even if both exploited (even
if one exploits more than the other). A number of leaders among the
exploited were far more equalitarian since at least the middle ages.

> Morality is a purely social construct that is always evolving. There is no
> absolute 'right'.

I agree on this. Yet, if we can admire these men for the things we now
valuate, why can't we criticize their support for discrimination?

> In a hundred years time people may look back on your own sense of morality
> and criticise
it as well.

Many people will criticize my morality even today, because not all
share the same morality, partially because they came from different
groups or classes, deffending different interests.