New Tyrannosaurus Study

Carbone, C., Turvey, S., & Bielby, J. (2011). Intra-guild competition and
its implications for one of the biggest terrestrial predators, Tyrannosaurus
rex Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences

Abstract: Identifying tradeoffs between hunting and scavenging in an
ecological context is important for understanding predatory guilds. In the
past century, the feeding strategy of one of the largest and best-known
terrestrial carnivores, Tyrannosaurus rex, has been the subject of much
debate: was it an active predator or an obligate scavenger? Here we look at
the feasibility of an adult T. rex being an obligate scavenger in the
environmental conditions of Late Cretaceous North America, given the size
distributions of sympatric herbivorous dinosaurs and likely competition with
more abundant small-bodied theropods. We predict that nearly 50 per cent of
herbivores would have been within a 55-85 kg range, and calculate based on
expected encounter rates that carcasses from these individuals would have
been quickly consumed by smaller theropods. Larger carcasses would have been
very rare and heavily competed for, making them an unreliable food source.
The potential carcass search rates of smaller theropods are predicted to be
14-60 times that of an adult T. rex. Our results suggest that T. rex and
other extremely large carnivorous dinosaurs would have been unable to
compete as obligate scavengers and would have primarily hunted large
vertebrate prey, similar to many large mammalian carnivores in modern-day
ecosystems.

And link to free PDF:
http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/early/2011/01/20/rspb.2010.24
97