Re: Pterosaur lifestyle logistics

As far as I can see, there probably wasn't much difference between the
guts of pterosaurs and birds. I would expect pterosaurs to be able to
excrete waste in a bird-like fashion. Their excreta was almost certainly
similar, for one thing, so there's probably no reason why it couldn't be
ejected in the same way.

Dr. Mark Witton

Palaeobiology Research Group
University of Portsmouth
Burnaby Building
Burnaby Road

Tel: (44)2392 842418
E-mail: Mark.Witton@port.ac.uk

If pterosaurs are your thing, be sure to check out:

- Pterosaur.Net: www.pterosaur.net
- The Pterosaur.Net blog: http://pterosaur-net.blogspot.com/
- My pterosaur artwork: www.flickr.com/photos/markwitton

>>> Sam Barnett <sam.horus@gmail.com> 29/01/2011 00:01 >>>
Evening all, odd question for the pterosaur experts out there: birds
can excrete waste mid-leap/flight while mammals cannot.  Which is most
likely for pterosaurs?  The article on the egg texture and its
implications for the idea of bird-like pterosaur nests have made me
question how bird-like I've assumed these creatures to be.