Re: Pterosaur lifestyle logistics

Sam,

As far as I can see, there probably wasn't much difference between the
guts of pterosaurs and birds. I would expect pterosaurs to be able to
excrete waste in a bird-like fashion. Their excreta was almost certainly
similar, for one thing, so there's probably no reason why it couldn't be
ejected in the same way.

Mark

--

Dr. Mark Witton

Palaeobiology Research Group
University of Portsmouth
Burnaby Building
Burnaby Road
Portsmouth
PO1 3QL

Tel: (44)2392 842418
E-mail: Mark.Witton@port.ac.uk

If pterosaurs are your thing, be sure to check out:

- Pterosaur.Net: www.pterosaur.net
- The Pterosaur.Net blog: http://pterosaur-net.blogspot.com/
- My pterosaur artwork: www.flickr.com/photos/markwitton

>>> Sam Barnett <sam.horus@gmail.com> 29/01/2011 00:01 >>>
Evening all, odd question for the pterosaur experts out there: birds
can excrete waste mid-leap/flight while mammals cannot.  Which is most
likely for pterosaurs?  The article on the egg texture and its
implications for the idea of bird-like pterosaur nests have made me
question how bird-like I've assumed these creatures to be.