Re: Required to question evolution in Oklahoma

808 phone-surveyed people out of over 300 million doesn't seem to be much of a
sample size. I
wouldn't consider it representative of Americans in general.

Where phone surveys are concerned, people may choose the last option more often
if they're not
really listening and forget the first option (and don't want to sound dumb by
asking for it to be
repeated). Reversing the order of the options might change the outcome of the
phone survey. In
this case, option 1 was 'only evolution' while option 3 was 'only god'.

It also seems that about half of responses took the middle ground, which could
represent a fence-
sitting lack of commitment rather than a carefully considered answer.

The way in which the surveyer asks the questions might also affect the outcome,
due to the
surveyer's own biases subtly changing the way in which each option is spoken.
Sometimes people
will give the answers they think other people want, rather than their own.

I'd be very wary of the results of telephone surveys. Written surveys, where
there is no-one
verbally asking questions, and where people are free to re-read the options and
answer in their
own time, tend to be less biased.

On Tue, Feb 1st, 2011 at 8:48 AM, Paul P <turtlecroc@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I find that bill exciting, like a good horror movie--funny *and*
> scary. Not a surprise, though, if you've seen this survey:
>
> http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/10/22/opinion/polls/main965223.shtml

Dann Pigdon