Re: It's funny because it's true...

2D is less expensive and keeps the investors a little farther out of the production, no?
On Jul 1, 2011, at 8:37 AM, Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. wrote:

From: owner-VRTPALEO@usc.edu [mailto:owner-VRTPALEO@usc.edu]
On Behalf Of Luis Rey

I don't think it is just a problem of 2-D or 3-D. I have seen
a progressive deterioration in the quality of the 3-D
stuff... suddenly the Jurassic Fight Club type of animation
has become the norm, and it is abysmal. The anatomical errors
and over dramatization have become so widespread (that also
includes the lack of  knowledge of real animal behavior) that
 I'd rather have some of the stuff that came immediately
after Walking With Dinosaurs like that little series
"Dinosaur Planet" anytime...

Fair enough.

And I have to admit I do see a lot of advantages to CGI: for example, it is easier on the animators to do multiple walk cycles, postures, etc., on "sketch" versions of the critters, show them to consultants, and have us critique them. A handful of shows that I
have worked with/am working with do just this.

And I would LOVE to require all animators, directors, script writers, etc. to take a course or two on animal behavior and
biomechanics...

That said, just because WWD did something shouldn't mean that the whole field has to do the same thing. 2D stills, 2D animation, etc., still can be very effective if used well, and there are some advantages (such as those I listed earlier) that make 2D drawings
potentially more accurate than 3D CGI.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216