[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Subject Index][Author Index]
Re: It's funny because it's true...
- To: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: It's funny because it's true...
- From: Bob Tess <email@example.com>
- Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 08:49:32 -0400
- Authentication-results: msg-ironport0.usc.edu; dkim=neutral (message not signed) header.i=none
- Cc: <VRTPALEO@usc.edu>, "'DML'" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- In-reply-to: <29C2543398624D2BB22184FDAC1BC6AA@TYRANT>
- References: <975588B4066940EC92EC2E1F47C0226E@TYRANT> <9BA80B9F-1B82-4BA4-AD5E-CFADA487A15D@ndirect.co.uk> <9AE8224C-31E8-4260-96FA-B7543110AE9A@dinoart.com> <120DE1CBEF1B4B2FB7825D4D40DCC10E@TYRANT> <1DA6CA67-7651-4F3F-84A5-97BBC8ADD213@ndirect.co.uk> <29C2543398624D2BB22184FDAC1BC6AA@TYRANT>
- Reply-to: email@example.com
- Sender: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu
2D is less expensive and keeps the investors a little farther out of
the production, no?
On Jul 1, 2011, at 8:37 AM, Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. wrote:
From: owner-VRTPALEO@usc.edu [mailto:owner-VRTPALEO@usc.edu]
On Behalf Of Luis Rey
I don't think it is just a problem of 2-D or 3-D. I have seen
a progressive deterioration in the quality of the 3-D
stuff... suddenly the Jurassic Fight Club type of animation
has become the norm, and it is abysmal. The anatomical errors
and over dramatization have become so widespread (that also
includes the lack of knowledge of real animal behavior) that
I'd rather have some of the stuff that came immediately
after Walking With Dinosaurs like that little series
"Dinosaur Planet" anytime...
And I have to admit I do see a lot of advantages to CGI: for
example, it is easier on the animators to do multiple walk cycles,
postures, etc., on "sketch" versions of the critters, show them to
consultants, and have us critique them. A handful of shows that I
have worked with/am working with do just this.
And I would LOVE to require all animators, directors, script
writers, etc. to take a course or two on animal behavior and
That said, just because WWD did something shouldn't mean that the
whole field has to do the same thing. 2D stills, 2D animation,
etc., still can be very effective if used well, and there are some
advantages (such as those I listed earlier) that make 2D drawings
potentially more accurate than 3D CGI.
Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216
Senior Lecturer, Vertebrate Paleontology
Dept. of Geology, University of Maryland
Faculty Director, Science & Global Change Program, College Park
Mailing Address: Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Department of Geology
Building 237, Room 1117
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742 USA