Another thing that I would be grateful is... for starters it would be great to teach the people that do the programs a simple fact: predators DO NOT go and scare their victims to death... they just eat them... and most of the time they would very much like to pass unnoticed until they get their claws on the food.

There was this recurrent sequence that the predator would go towards their purported meal roaring loudly, arms stretched (just to make him even more visible) and make them run as fast as possible so they get away and is a (bad) excuse for a chase at "cheetah speed"...

But, yes I think the TV people should be listening to pain in the arses like us for the good of science programs ... just ask Tim Haines...

On 1 Jul 2011, at 13:37, Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. wrote:

From: owner-VRTPALEO@usc.edu [mailto:owner-VRTPALEO@usc.edu]
On Behalf Of Luis Rey

I don't think it is just a problem of 2-D or 3-D. I have seen
a progressive deterioration in the quality of the 3-D
stuff... suddenly the Jurassic Fight Club type of animation
has become the norm, and it is abysmal. The anatomical errors
and over dramatization have become so widespread (that also
includes the lack of  knowledge of real animal behavior) that
 I'd rather have some of the stuff that came immediately
after Walking With Dinosaurs like that little series
"Dinosaur Planet" anytime...

Fair enough.

And I have to admit I do see a lot of advantages to CGI: for example, it is easier on the animators to do multiple walk cycles, postures, etc., on "sketch" versions of the critters, show them to consultants, and have us critique them. A handful of shows that I
have worked with/am working with do just this.

And I would LOVE to require all animators, directors, script writers, etc. to take a course or two on animal behavior and
biomechanics...

That said, just because WWD did something shouldn't mean that the whole field has to do the same thing. 2D stills, 2D animation, etc., still can be very effective if used well, and there are some advantages (such as those I listed earlier) that make 2D drawings
potentially more accurate than 3D CGI.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216