RE: Horseshoe Canyon Tyrannosaurid

The taxon is based on MOR 590.  Horner et al. (1992) thought it was
transitional between Daspletosaurus torosus and Tyrannosaurus rex, while Holtz
(2001)
  recovered it in three possible positions- basal tyrannosaurine, sister to
Daspletosaurus torosus and sister to Tarbosaurus + Tyrannosaurus. Carr (2005)
  recovered it as the sister taxon of Daspletosaurus torosus and an undescribed
Daspletosaurus species from the Dinosaur Park Formation.  Other possible
referred specimens are OTM 200 (Varricchio, 2001) and TA.1997.002 (Currie et
al., 1995).

Mickey Mortimer