Re: Pterosaur morphological evolution

Very impressive indeed for a Masters study.  There is certainly a lot
to chew on.  Intriguingly, the non-pterosaurian taxa (_Scleromochlus_,
_Herrerasaurus_, _Ornithosuchus_) fall within the same tight
morphospace as the rhamphorhynchoids.

One comment within the paper that I would perhaps quibble with relates
to the proposed division of ecospace:

    "We know that the Jehol Group in China, spanning some 11
     ma, has yielded large numbers of birds and pterosaurs that
     presumably occupied different ecological niches, the birds
     flitting amongst the trees and feeding largely on insects and
     fruit (two species fed on fishes), and the pterosaurs swooping
     over the lake and feeding on fishes and aquatic invertebrates
     around the margins (Zhou 2004)."

I don't think the pterosaur/bird division of ecospace was so
clear-cut.  For one, the Jehol anurognathid _Dendrorhynchoides_ has
been interpreted as an arboreal, insect-catching pterosaur.  So has
_Nemicolopterus_, another Jehol Group taxon that has been described as
being the most specialized of all pterosaurs for arboreality (with the
caveat that it may turn out to be a juvenile of the tapejarid
_Sinopterus_).  On the other hand, the arboreal and flight abilities
of certain Jehol birds were also not that impressive, especially the
jeholornithids and confuciusornithids - so it's difficult to envision
these birds flitting amongst the trees.  Although many Jehol birds had
perching adaptations that suggest that they were arboreal, and appear
to have been decent fliers.

Further, many Jehol birds appear to have had lifestyles associated
with water, especially wading (e.g, _Yixianornis_, _Hongshanornis_,
_Longirostravis_, _Archaeorhynchus_) - although the diets of
individual taxa varied (catching fish; probing in the mud; feeding on
water plants).  The "two species" that "fed on fishes" are presumably
_Confuciusornis_ and _Yanornis_, considering we have direct fossil
evidence to support fish-eating habits.

So the ecospace occupied by birds and pterosaurs within the Jehol
biota might have had a substantial overlap where aquatic habits were
concerned - and, to a lesser extent, arboreality and/or aerial
insectivory.

Cheers

Tim