Re: Dino species count

At 4:47 PM -0700 7/14/11, Mike Keesey wrote:
>> I don't know about the percentage of species that have been found, but a
>> few years ago Peter Dodson and I tried to estimate the percentage of genera
>> that have been found
>
>Wait, there's a difference?

According to current taxonomy, of course, there's not much difference. As
of our 2006 paper, 90% of dinosaur genera were monospecific. The mean
number of species per genus was 1.2, and 98% of genera had 3 or fewer
species. But many genera are known from such incomplete material that it
would be difficult to know if there was more than one species, so it's hard
to say anything terribly concrete at the species level -- which is why we
chose to analyze the data at the genus level.

Best,

Steve

--
Steve C. Wang