Juan Gallardo, a natural born paleontologists passed away today

Colleagues
Today passed away Juan Gallardo, a natural born fossil hunter, from Viñales,
western Cuba, which  collected with Carlos de la Torre (Univ. Havana), Barnum
Brown (AMNH), David Dunkle (USNM), and many others.
He was a kind and lovely person which we all are going to miss.  His legacy is
to have found many important fossil elements of the Jurassic and Cretaceous
marine biota of the ProtoCaribbean in the Sierra de los Órganos mounstains of
western Cuba.

http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/1232585/758569109/name/Juan%20Gallardo%202011.pdf

Best Regards,
Yasmani

"The occurrence of Jurassic land and coastal sediments in western Cuba is
well-known, but despite many years of search with Juan Gallardo and other
coleagues, no other than the specimen found by Carlos de la Torre early last
century show up. We dis look for dinosaurs bones in Puerto Rico, Hispaniola and
Cuba during several field seasons, but again a s yet, this search has been
unsuccessful, perhaps because rocks of late Cretaceous age are strongly
weathered and the potential bones are hard to find on the surface. But I will
continue to search."

Manuel A. Iturralde-Vinent, en National Geographic, 2002