RE: Microraptor Wings (and sauropods(

  You know, while my joking response was a bit ... tongue in cheek ... the
serious response to this is oddly not that much different.

  The robusticity of the tooth or its shape is only one aspect of sauropod jaw
strength: Most of this is based on the mandibular form itself, and there are
several good proxies for assessing this in sauropods:

  1. Deep rostra usually indicate that at the level of biting, the jaw is
capable of exerting strong dorsoventral compressive forces, and thus less
mechanical bending during the bite: we see this in the tips of diplodocoid
jaws, and to a slightly lesser degree in "brachiosaurid" (or rather, "basal
camarasauromorphan") jaws. Regardless of the tooth shape or size, the strong
development of the "chin" indicates an anteriorized bite, and this simply
matches clustering of the dentition into a continuous margin.

  2. Expansion of the "coronoid process" in sauropods. Although sauropods lack
an actual ornithischian-like "coronoid process," they do possess an expansion
that anchors the same muscles, located almost exclusively on the surangular,
which causes a small "peak" near the dentary articulation. The height of this
region and relief of the scarring for the temporalis musculature groups that
are anchored to this region indicate a developed jaw-closing/jaw-retracting
component of the jaw. The angle of divergence of this axis of jaw closing from
that of the pterygoideus group (the other jaw-closing muscles of note) help
exaggerate the bite mechanics, and can tell us about differential bite
performance when one muscle group is preferred over another.

  3. The development of the pterygoideus muscle group scars or relief on the
ventral, ventromedial, and ventrolateral sides of the postdentary bones are
usually indicated by the "surangular ridge," which indicates how anterior this
muscle group goes. In most sauropods, this is very low on the lateral surface
of the mandible, and is located primarily around and slightly anterior to the
jaw articulation. Such a position offers the pterygoideus a mandibular rotation
component, and can help partially protract or retract the jaw during the bite.

  4. These component jaw movements apart from the actual vertical bite can be
secondarily indicated by wear features in the teeth, but also in the shape and
boundary bones of the articular glenoid of the mandible, and its specific
shape, which will show whether the jaws was capable of any propalinal or
transverse movement. Such things indicate greater complexity in sauropod biting
than simply _biting_. AND THEN you can get to specific features of the teeth,
such as the close-spacing (or lack of spacing), the form of wear facets,
microwear scratches and grooves or pitting, the orientation and shape of the
crowns, etc., as well as the curvature of the jaws themselves. Several of these
have been investigated, and while jaw biting was primarily assessed by FEA,
given how iffy muscular reconstruction is, wear pattern and jaw shape pattern
reconstruction has been much more interesting and "obvious" in its results
(plus it's less prone to missing information).

  5. I would then argue that the "robusticity" of a tooth is based only on its
primary axis of bite, and little else: a long, thin tooth will be better at
"poking" than a large, broad, squat tooth, which will be better at resisting
bending forces, and was likely used to "rake."

  6. That all said, diplodocids were likely a lot better at brain munching than
brachiosaurs, able to extract the slurry of goo much better than the others,
because they'd just more likely open the skull than pulverize it into a messy
mass. The relevant reduction in sauropod taxa in the northern continents likely
correlates to the discovery of fire by dinosaurs -- that or chainsaws and
shotguns.

Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden
  The Bite Stuff (site v2)