Re: Woman against Abelisaur

T.Rex vs. Spock again, eh?

Regarding dogs and fists - maybe not the best. I remember defending
myself using swings of my shoulder beg and multiple bluff charges.
There was a drunk man in Japan who was bit by a stray dog a few years
back - he bit out the dogs throat in return.

The standard defence against a lot of mammalian predators is to jam the
jaw open by stuffing a hand near the base (behind the teeth. Polar
bears have been killed a couple of times by putting a mitt on a stick
and stuffing it down the animal's throat.

However these strategies wouldn't work well with an abelisaur (which
would be swallowing meat without chewing and would likely have somewhat
more impressive jaws) - indications of a very different hunting
technique than the dog's momentum or the cat's use of forepaws to
subdue a victim prior to using its jaws.

I'm personally a part of the pointed stick school. A lot of these
animals were fairly lightly built (eg. the ribs) and some had air-sacs.
Dromaeosaurs always seem lightly enough built that a club would also do
very well (breaking limbs, ribs etc. - and they ribs motion is likely
more necessary for breathing as a result of there not being
the same kind of muscular diaphragm). Look up a few pictures of bear or
lion skeletons/skulls for comparison - not only is there fur, but there
is a heavier build and a lot more bone fusion going on.

Of course, Abelisaurs were more heavily built. I also suspect that they
would make good ambushers (with a low profile, binocular vision and
proportionally large leg muscles on shorter limbs - good for
acceleration). With a stride length of several metres - you can go a
long way in just a few steps (even if your top speed isn't that great).

One of the funny things though - people tend to assume that larger
animals have more, er... hitpoints. In reality, while more heavily
built the forces are also greater on load bearing components. So a .22
could fell a Tyrannosaurid if it hits the mark (and the mark would be
bigger).

My 2 cents from years of arguing about movies... (speaking of which,
Jurassic Park's "dinosaurs eat man, woman inherits the earth.." comes
to mind...

-Jonas Weselake-George