Re: Supernova link to Rancholabrean fauna extinction?

From: Ben Creisler
bh480@scn.org

The question of whether humans were agents in the extinction of the
macrofauna in the Americas may be one more of technology (Clovis weapons)
than physical presence. There is better and better evidence for pre-Clovis
humans in the Americas thousands of years before the mass extinctions of
megafauna. People were almost certainly in the Americas by about 15,000
years ago. Clovis culture does not emerge until around 13,500 years ago
with the mass extinctions around 12,900. (The dates are calibrated calendar
dates, not raw radiocarbon dates.)

At present, even earlier dates are still shaky. See the link to this recent
news article, which raises the possibility of humans hunting glyptodonts in
South America as far back as 29,000 years ago. I'm not vouching for it
without seeing a formal description of the material, but it's
interesting.....

http://en.mercopress.com/2011/07/20/fossils-discovered-in-uruguay-could-dera
il-america-s-population-origin-theory
=====