Re: Sloping terrain Re: Woman against Abelisaur

Don Ohmes <d_ohmes@yahoo.com> wrote:

> But I nevertheless stand by several contentions, the most notably
> controversial perhaps being that giant sauropods were extremely well-suited
> to walking through swamps, rather than around them -- and lolling around in
> them at will, much as elephants use swamps today.

You might be right.  It is worth mentioning, however, that sauropod
remains have been found that document miring events, where sauropods
literally died where they stood (Tendaguru, Morrison, Wessex, etc).
Thus, limb bones are preserved in an upright position.  Arguably the
most famous example is a humerus and tibia from a large specimen of
_Giraffatitan brancai_ (SII) at Tendaguru Site S.  I don't know
off-hand if the original site qualified as a 'swamp'.  The brachiosaur
was mired in soft mud rather than sand.  _Paralititan_, another giant
sauropod, lived in a mangrove swamp - but here the ground underfoot
was sandy and compact.

Cheers

Tim