Re: Sloping terrain Re: Woman against Abelisaur

On 7/25/2011 6:30 PM, Dann Pigdon wrote:
On Tue, Jul 26th, 2011 at 12:40 AM, Don Ohmes<d_ohmes@yahoo.com>  wrote:

Elephants sometimes become trapped in muddy pits that have steep
slippery sides -- certainly their remains could be preserved in "mired
position" -- and certainly they love mud, and are notably NOT hampered
by their large size.

I'm having a hard time finding any pictures of a wild elephant in mud much
deeper than its ankles.

Even those being forced to walk through mud by humans don't seem to be any
deeper in the mud
than their knees (if even that deep).

A YouTube search for "elephant stuck in mud" seems to yeild plenty of results:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMIRREOoSt0
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvOY8cSoKus
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bYEeHdjtJk

Two separate events depicted here, or three? I think two, but no matter -- it is accepted as proven that large animals can indeed get "stuck" -- although these cases are more a matter of an animal that has fallen in an area where the underlying substrate is firm enough to bear weight, but too slippery too allow any traction, as opposed to being to yielding and deep.

I wonder if the long neck and tail of the sauropod was a help or hindrance when trying to get up in similar situations?

One event is an excellent example of a small pit surrounded by firmer ground.

Note the smallish hippo -- even more stuck than the larger elephant.

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5bw3hlUSzQ

the last one is interesting, as the rest of the herd seems to be giving the mud
a wide berth while
trying to help the mired individual.

In this clip, the stuck individual is a smaller herd member, not the largest. And again, appears to be stuck in a specific hole (likely dug by a larger animal?) -- the adults all seem to have mud caked on their sides, and the mud in the foreground appears to be thoroughly trampled, I assume by elephants...

Again, a muddy pit, not a swamp...