Re: Sloping terrain Re: Woman against Abelisaur

On 7/25/2011 7:39 PM, Tim Williams wrote:

You may well be right.  But I'll counter with the relevant paragraph
from Heinrich et al. (2011):

        "Several fully articulated feet of Brachiosaurus, Janenschia
         and Tornieria, buried in an upright natural
         position, indicate that huge sauropods also visited the
         lagoon and, at least occasionally, got stuck in the
         mud. Such articulated parts of skeletons are rare and
         accumulations of disarticulated bones of sauropods
         prevail. Interestingly, all these assemblages are dominated
         by bones of adult individuals. Therefore, some
         palaeontologists believe that body weight was an important
         selective factor for the survival of sauropods.
         Because of their lower weight, juvenile sauropods less
         frequently mired than adults who often passed the
         point-of-no-return due to their heavier body weight."

There are other explanations -- drought stress/predators already knocked off the juvvies, as example...

It would be a rare and special situation wherein an elephant-sized animal would not mire, yet a larger would mire, in my view -- but it could happen.

I note that Heinrich does advance the lighter/heavier idea as his own, or subscribe to it, at least in that paragraph...