RE: Expanding the Known Oviraptoverse

  This might be interestingly possible to test with current material. Mickey
Mortimer has made the argument that *Kuszholia mengi* Nessov, 1992, a small
maniraptoran based on a tiny synsacrum (PO 4602, with additional vertebrae
referred), is an oviraptorosaur due to general similarities. Deriving from the
Bissekty Formation, the obvious correlation with *Caenagnathasia martinsoni* is
obvious, and useful. The Bissekty at several sites has produced a wealth of
small avian or avian-esque bones that could very well apply to a small-bodied,
*Caudipteryx*-like oviraptorsaur, and if these are consistent, they may qualify
a single taxon. Only more complete material can demonstrate this, but this
allows us a fresh perspective from which to examine the collected material.

  I have no other opinion on the issue of potential synonymy, as I have not
read the paper, seen the material, etc. I will leave further discussion of this
issue when I take Mickey to task for even suggesting the novel, useful, and
intriguing idea.

Nessov, L. A. 1992. Review of localities and remains of Mesozoic
  and Paleogene birds of the USSR and the description of new findings. _Ruskii
  Ornitologicheskii Zhurnal_ 1(1):7-50. [I'm copy-pasting the ref with
modifications from Mickey's Theropod Database -- here:
http://home.comcast.net/~eoraptor/Oviraptorosauria.htm#Kuszholiamengi]

Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden
  The Bite Stuff (site v2)