On 27 July 2011 22:01, Scott Hartman <skeletaldrawing@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 3:55 PM, Augusto Haro <augustoharo@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> *Aves* is (or should be) restricted to the crown.
>>>
>> Isn't that pre-occupied by Neornithes?
>>

> Pretty sure Aves has precedent...

When it comes to phylogenetic (as opposed to rank-based) nomenclature,
no name has priority over any synonym, and no definition has priority
over any homonym.  That is because priority starts only when the
PhyloCode is "implemented", which as we all know will be on January 1,
200n, for some value of n >= 12.  Until that great and glorious day,
ALL phylogenetic names and clades are up for grabs, to be used as each
author sees fit.

Which is why I have, for some time now, argued that the PhyloCode
should be implemented NOW, rather than continuing to wait for the
looong overdue Companion Volume to be completed.  The code itself has
been ready to go for four years (since draft 4b of September 2007).
In that time, the code has lost an appalling amount of intellectual
momentum as it's waited around for the Companion Volume.  The
contributions to that volume that I was involved with have been "in
press" since May 15 2007, but here we are in 2011.

*sigh*

-- Mike.