Greg Paul is not necessarily right; or "Archie may be a birdy"

I hate to pick on Tom again, but in 2009 I wrote a DML post responding to his
announcement of Tawa which he titled "Everything you know about basal
saurischians is wrong."  You can read it here-
http://dml.cmnh.org/2009Dec/msg00122.html .  Tawa's analysis shook up theropod
phylogeny by finding paraphyletic coelophysoids (even sensu stricto), but since
then we've had the Eodromaeus analysis which found coelophysoids to be
monophyletic and include Tawa itself.  That's not to say the Eodromaeus
analysis is right, but that Tawa does not definitely change what we know about
theropod relationships.  The point of my post was that each new analysis does
not prove the last analysis wrong, and it bears repeating for the current
thread on Xiaotingia.

Xu et al. placed Xiaotingia in Senter's (2007) version of the TWG matrix with
13 added characters and a few added taxa.  Archaeopteryx emerged as a basal
deinonychosaur, but the abstract itself says this has only "tentative
statistical support" and is rightly conservative regarding its implications.
While Senter's analysis is great, and Xu et al. (and Hu et al., 2009 and Zheng
et al., 2008) were smart to add Anchiornis, Epidexipteryx, Similicaudipteryx
and Haplocheirus, there are numerous relevant taxa not included.  The basal
dromaeosaurids Mahakala, Shanag and Tianyuraptor, the basal troodontids
Jinfengopteryx and Sinusonasus, the basal birds Jixiangornis, Dalianraptor,
Yandangornis and Zhongjianornis, the unenlagiine Austroraptor, the early
paravian Pedopenna, and the controversial Balaur are some of the most
important.  There are also plenty of characters not included, as most of the
taxa I just listed came with versions of the TWG matrix that added their own
list of additional characters for paravian nodes (e.g. 37 new characters for Xu
et al.'s Anchiornis paper, 56 new ones in Xu and Zhang's Pedopenna paper).  So
while the Xiaotingia results are certainly interesting, they're by not
necessarily better than the results from the papers describing Mahakala,
Shanag, Tianyuraptor, Austroraptor, Pedopenna or Xu et al.'s Anchiornis paper.
Maybe any combination of these taxa or characters is integral to keeping
Archaeopteryx in Avialae, regardless of the inclusion of Xiaotingia.  We won't
know until all the data is combined (which I'm doing for the upcoming
publication of yet another important basal paravian).  Until then, I'd say any
paravian topology is likely.  Recall that correcting the original TWG matrix
(http://theropoddatabase.blogspot.com/2011/06/theropod-working-group-matrix-recoded.html)
 led to Archaeopteryx being removed from Avialae in just three extra steps and
being a troodontid with four more steps.  It's not a hard taxon to shift around.

Mickey Mortimer