Simili's not a caudi? (was RE: Greg Paul is right (again); or "Archie's not a birdy")

> Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 14:59:51 -0400
> From: jaseb@amnh.org
> To: tholtz@umd.edu
> CC: dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: Re: Greg Paul is right (again); or "Archie's not a birdy"
>
> Some of his trees make Similcaudipteryx and Incisivosaurus into basal
> therizinosaurs. That's fascinating.

Something else really cool is that Xu et al. have published the first ever
schematic of a *Similicaudipteryx* skull (fig. 4).  Turns out it does have
maxillary and dentary teeth, unlike *Caudipteryx*.  Xing Lida did a life
restoration of *Similicaudipteryx* with maxillary and dentary teeth in 2010,
but I couldn't be certain from the low-resolution published photo of the skull
(Xu et al. 2010) if that was accurate.  Intriguingly, *Similicaudipteryx* seems
to have the same unusual dental formula as *Epidexipteryx* (4 pmx, 2 mx, 6 d).