There was no way that small armed Epidexipteryx flew. But its actual
phylogenetic placement is tenuous and it may have descended from Jurassic
fliers.
I doubt we will ever be able to sort a lot of this out. In any case my basic
notion was that Archaeopteryx was less derived than some "dinosaurs," and
that some of the latter were secondarily flightless, which seems to be
holding up pretty well.

GSPaul