Re: Foraminacephale gen. nov.

On 29 July 2011 12:42, Jose Ignacio Ruiz-Omeñaca <jigruiz@gmail.com> wrote:
> To avoid nomina nuda, I recommend to disclaim the new taxa made in a
> dissertation, by expliciting it in the printed volume, acording to the
> International Code of Zoological Nomenclature, Chapter 3, Article 8:
> 8.2 and 8.3
>
> http://www.nhm.ac.uk/hosted-sites/iczn/code/
>
> I made this in my PhD thesis

I'm never sure how I feel about this.  Even given that a dissertation,
however freely available and widely copied, does not count as
"published" for ICZN purposes, doesn't Schott's naming this animal in
a thesis and making it freely available at least constitute a good,
solid marker in the ground?  It's notice of intent to publish, and
should warn off anyone who had been considering naming the same
animal.  (Not that this helped, Heliocanthus, of course, but that was
an exceptional case.)

Really, what is the downside of putting a name out there as a nomen
nudum before formal publication?  I am not sure I can see one, other
than that it's "not done".  Which is not a particularly compelling
argument.

-- Mike.

>>> www.museojurasicoasturias.com