Re: The myth of coding from specimens firsthand and the untapped resource of photos

I fully agree that it is always the specimen one SHOULD code from.
I also agree that in the time of decreasing funding and increasing
quality of photographs a digital database accessible to all is the
best alternative.

For me, the most problematic issue here seems to be copyright. Until
thjat is sorted out the utility of a database will be very limited.

Therefore, I can only recommend publishing in open-access journals
that allow unlimited, high-resolution color figures. Palaeontologia
Electronica comes to mind.

(Full disclosure: I am a style editor at PE)

:)
Heinrich