Re: Parahongshanornis, new Chinese Cretaceous bird (free pdf)

> That's the 2nd finger. That's normal.

True.  But what's not normal about _Patagopteryx_ is that (a) the 2nd
phalanx of the 2nd fnger is the longest, and (b) the wings were not
used for flight.

> I agree, though, that somebody should do a biomechanical study of the
> forelimbs of *Patagopteryx* (which I'm not confusing with *Patagonykus* this
> time).

At a glance, _Patagopteryx_'s two-handed grasping abilities don't seem
much worse than those of certain non-avian theropods, like
caudipterygids.

Cheers

Tim