RE: The myth of coding from specimens firsthand and the untapped resource of photos

  False dichotomy. Either or, the institutions pay. Grants for researchers are
granted, specifically, based on a small group or an individual, not an entire
museum, and when the latter MIGHT occur (as in the Smithsonian) it must share
this with a variety of other groups, rather than pay for the technology to
photograph things. Then you'd have to pay for their time, and the processing,
etc. It's not about everyone in a museum getting their cell phones and taking
pictures, then sharing them; you also have to train people HOW to take
pictures, HOW to process the digital or film copies, and the time involved. Or
... you can do it yourself on a travel grant. Time, effort and money must be
expended and in largely equal shares. You think, though, that the institution
pays researchers to run around, but they don't. Sometimes, like in Mickey's
case, he had to do it on his own dime, and so did many other, and so will many
more. Your institution will not pay for everything.

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
The Bite Stuff (site v2)
http://qilong.wordpress.com/