RE: The myth of coding from specimens firsthand and the untapped resource of photos

  I want to make it perfectly clear that I support the idea, in general, of a
shared photographic database. This, in isolation, is a good thing(tm).

  The problem I am trying to point out is that this is not a solution to the
particular problem Mickey raises, it simply makes the problem (that of
confirmation and study) less arduous. You absolutely should examine the
material first hand, and there is absolutely no reason I can find that a photo
serves _better_ than this with the sole exception of the material being
destroyed or stolen, and thus totally unavailable. I should never be relegated
to accepting second best, and that's what photos [in a vacuum] as study
materials are, and thus preferential weight should be placed on first-hand
study.

  The second aspect of this problem is one of professionals and institutions
sharing what is, generally, either private or copyrighted material. And note
well, an institution owns the materials in its possession, or the state
controlling it does, and thus laws exist which state that photos of said
material, unless otherwise stated, are owned by that institution or state.
Telling these people to part with them, or convince them to do so, when said
institutions/states often develop these copyright protocols to ensure income,
would be a problem in both international and interstate commerce. It could even
be theft.

  I am not saying this is an ideal situation. As a scientist (or so I'd like to
dream) I think the ideal is toward a more communal organization, in which free
access and free sharing becomes the norm. But this has hurdles, and one of them
is the sense of property. An institution owns a specimen, and thus has an
interest in the work done on it, and any scientist asking for access often must
fill out forms indicating what the material will be used for, and what will be
done with it; access can incur a fee, and photos an additional one. This brings
money to the institution, and many of you guys know and accept it, even if you
grumble about it. Mickey was fortunate to get in (for free, I think) to the
AMNH collections; photos he took were not (I understand) "taxed," but this is a
situation that can be uncommon elsewhere, especially outside of the
"enlightened" nations.

  Similarly, material that is undergoing study may be subject to embargo, as
with all derivatives (photos included) of this work. Scientists can be
possessive louts, and this is not intended as an insult, but a polite nudge.
This material, and photos, would not be shared even when the institution is
willing, because the workers are very picky about it. This sense advocates
adversely against the argument for sharing data regardless of whether those
workers would share _afterward_. There is no reason if you would share later,
why you wouldn't share earlier, unless it had something to do with a sense of
priopriety (and this is where embargoes from journals like _Nature_ and
_Science_ come in, when it becomes about name recognition, some rediculous
thing called "impact factor," and most especially _MONEY_).

  I absolutely wholeheartedly support -- and would contribute -- photo material
I have not been either expressly asked not to, or note copyright preventing me
from doing so. It would be dishonest to share something I said I wouldn't, or
even share something I _shouldn't_ (legally). But I note that the value of
those who advocate against this, those who would gain income from it, are
impaired by this behavior. It matters not _how much_ they become impaired.

  On the matter of institutions sending out researchers or having a database
prepared to reduce researchers' time traveling, again -- first hand examination
should be the norm and the desire, and photos are a poor second best; you
should never opt for second best if you can get first. It may take time,
patience, and influx of funds to so so, but you could just _wait_. I think the
very sense of propriety listed above has made people too _competitive_ in this
field, and a sharing argument would be adverse to this. Communal research and
idea sharing are things that are _not preferred_ when institutions are trying
to better themselves and their workers over anything else. why should I share
my photos, when that will just give you an edge in this area of research?

  Tell me that THESE issues will be solved before said database goes live, and
I will do everything I can to support this.

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
The Bite Stuff (site v2)
http://qilong.wordpress.com/