Tendaguru paleobiology and European alvarezsauroids

From: Ben Creisler
bh480@scn.org

Here a few recent items that I don't think have been
mentioned on the DML yet:

Wolf-Dieter Heinrich, Robert Bussert & Martin Aberhan
(2011)
A blast from the past: the lost world of dinosaurs at
Tendaguru, East Africa.
Geology Today 27( 3): 101?106, May/June 2011
DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-2451.2011.00795.x
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-
2451.2011.00795.x/abstract

The superbly preserved dinosaurs and associated organisms
from the Late Jurassic fossil Lagersttte Tendaguru in
southern Tanzania mark an exceptional success story in
palaeontology. The new permanent exhibits of the Museum
für Naturkunde in Berlin, highlighting the spectacular
dinosaurs (Fig. 1), are telling evidence. In more than
100 years of research, geoscientists produced a
considerable amount of knowledge about the composition
and diversity of the ancient fauna and flora at
Tendaguru, their unique palaeobiological characteristics,
and the continental to marginal marine ecosystems in
which they lived. Several questions are still open to
debate. These include the detailed genesis of the
Lagerstatte, aspects of dinosaur palaeobiology, and their
biogeographical affinities to contemporaneous assemblages
from the Northern Hemisphere.

==

Gareth J. Dyke and Darren Naish  (2011)
What about European alvarezsauroids?
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 108(22)
E147
(May 31, 2011)
doi: 10.1073/pnas.1101602108
http://www.pnas.org/content/108/22/E147.extract?
sid=95ceddf5-af01-4998-8a4a-3c8a32ff2ecd

Xu et al. ( 1) reported the alvarezsauroid Linhenykus
monodactylus from Inner Mongolia, a confirmed monodactyl
Mesozoic dinosaur. Xu et al.?s ( 1) phylogenetic
hypothesis for Linhenykus suggests that it is sister to a
clade that includes all other Cretaceous Laurasian
alvarezsauroids. On this basis, Xu et al. ( 1) discussed
the paleobiogeographic history of Alvarezsauroidea,
concluding that the lineage originated in Asia and then
spread via successive dispersal events to South and ?

Xing Xua,, Corwin Sullivan, Michael Pittman, Jonah N.
Choiniere, David Hone, Paul Upchurch, Qingwei Tan, Dong
Xiao, Lin Tan, and Fenglu Han  (2011)
Reply to Dyke and Naish: European alvarezsauroids do not
change the picture
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 108(22)
E148
(May 31, 2011)
doi: 10.1073/pnas.1104155108
http://www.pnas.org/content/108/22/E148.extract?
sid=95ceddf5-af01-4998-8a4a-3c8a32ff2ecd

Dyke and Naish ( 1) draw attention to three points that
they consider to be ?serious shortcomings? of our recent
paper on a monodactyl nonavian dinosaur ( 2). Here, we
respond to each point in turn.

Our paleobiogeographic hypothesis was based strictly on
the phylogenetic tree we recovered ( 2), which did not
include the European alvarezsauroid Heptasteornis because
of the extremely fragmentary nature of the known material
( 3). However, we did include this taxon in a section of
our paper (albeit in ?