Re: Pterosaur-inspired aircraft design

Thanks to Ben for the heads up on several of the recent paleo literature.  I am
curious what other listers think of the Lind and Chatterjee paper cited below.
I will admit that my own opinion is relatively negative.  I do not see much
relevance to pterosaurs, nor to I see any great aerodynamic breakthroughs here
- the anteriorly placed vertical tail effect was known previously, and it does
not seem to do much that other, less drastic, design alterations cannot
accomplish with less material and stability loss.  I see limited relevance to
pterosaurs because the use of the crest as an aerodynamically active surface
for turning was already falsified by Ross Elgin and coauthors back in 2007, and
actually makes very little sense from the standpoint of aerodynamic theory to
begin with.  I am interested to know if anyone here on the list understands why
Chatterjee continues to insist that the crests of pterosaurs might have had
function in maneuvering during flight.

Cheers,

--Mike Habib

Michael Habib