Re: Australian spinosaur

On Wed, Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:38 AM, "bh480@scn.org" <bh480@scn.org> wrote:

> Apparently the paper will appear in Biology Letters, but it's not posted
> there yet. Here are links to two news stories:
>
> http://www.nhm.ac.uk/about-us/news/2011/june/first-australian-spinosaur-dinosaur-had-global-
distribution98368.html

> http://www.livescience.com/14595-crocodile-nosed-dinosaur-australia.html

I'm afraid I'll take the spinosaur affinities of this partial cervical with a
grain of salt, if the history
of identifying scrappy Australian material is anything to go by. That said, I
wouldn't be surprised if
spinosaurs lived in this part of the world.

There was a footprint from Western Australia that was once thought to have been
made by a
spinosaurid, due to apparent traces of webbing between the toes. I haven't
heard anything more
about it for about 20 years though (I think it was in one of the earlier
editions of the W.A.
Museum's "Dinonews").

Dann Pigdon