Re: Mosasaur bone structure and growth rates

On 15 June 2011 08:28, Jocelyn Falconnet <j.falconnet@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't see any problem in reusing data available in a PhD dissertation.
> There is no nomenclatural, taxonomical, or moral issue here. Should we
> refrain from using measurements from dissertations because they are not
> published ? Reference to unpublished reports regarding quarries, borehole,
> or geological exploration in general is very common in local geology, for
> instance (e.g., BRGM for France, GSA for US, ...).

I'd go further.  It's time to drop the stupid convention that
dissertation are considered "unpublished".  If they're made freely
available, then they are in fact published for all purposes except
those of the ICZN (and as I've argued before the ICZN rules are wrong,
but let's not get back into that).  There was a time when
dissertations were hard to get hold of; then it made sense not to
consider them "published".  But that time has gone.

-- Mike.