Re: tiny dinosaur

evelyn sobielski <koreke77@yahoo.de> wrote:

> Congratulations Darren & Steve! The TetZoo post
> http://scienceblogs.com/tetrapodzoology/2011/05/tiny_cretaceous_theropod.php
> is awesome, very promising material! Do you have a PDF?
>
> A significance implication of such small adult size of is course with regards
> to the question of volancy.

Not just volancy, but scansoriality - which in my view probably came
first.  IMHO, an improved ability to climb trees (or whatever) drove
the miniaturization in body size inferred for the first paravians.

Of course, these "arboreal" maniraptorans were still crap at climbing
and perching - but they were better than they used to be, and the
decreased body size helped their cause.

Cheers

Tim