Re: America's earliest paleoartist authenticated

You can see a much closer match in Knight's painting on the 4th Floor at AMNH: http://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/permanent/fossilhalls/personalities/bios/knight.php. It's simply left/right reversed, although the shape of the tusks is different. Presumably the Florida artist did not see a Mammuthus primigenius and the authentication work by the researchers seems to have been extremely detailed and thorough.

Jerry Alpern

----- Original Message ----- From: <quailspg@frii.com>
To: "Dinosaur" <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Cc: "VRTPALEO" <VRTPALEO@usc.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 3:36 PM
Subject: Re: America's earliest paleoartist authenticated

Dan wrote:

Charles R Knight did a much better job on this image
when he originally created it 1909

Hmm! Interesting -- and suspicious -- match -- as though it was copied.
I see your point. (But, then, that's why the paper addressed the age
issue.)

[However, on the vert paleo list, Dan also wrote:]

I'd like to add here that it would very unusual to
see such an ancient engraving drawn in perspective
a 3/4 view as in Knight's painting.

At first glance, I, too, thought the engraved image showed perspective
-- with the far hind leg, especially. Then I decided it was
inconclusive
because the bottom parts of the legs/feet weren't discernible. Weird,
though.

Oh, and here's a tinier URl. The Knight image in question is at the
bottom of the page.
http://www.uky.edu/OtherOrgs/KPS/poky/pages%20/pokych10.htm

-- Donna Braginetz