Re: Giant owls vs solenodons

Ing. Yasmani Ceballos Izquierdo <yceballos@uci.cu> wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
> Please visit a very interesting text on the Cuban Pleistocene fauna posted by
> Darren Naish in:
> http://scienceblogs.com/tetrapodzoology/2011/06/giant_owls_vs_solenodons.php
> showing a terrific restoration of a Cuban giant owl Ornimegalonyx oteroi
> fighting against solenodon, and with many comments.

Another great blog from Darren.  While there, check out his blog on
the ornithopod _Lurdusaurus_ (including the comments)

http://scienceblogs.com/tetrapodzoology/2011/06/lurdusaurus_stupidest_iguanodontian.php#c4215971

I like Tom Holtz's speculative interpretation as _Lurdusaurus_ as an
amphibious, hippo-like animal, which was raised in _Dinosaurs_ (the
book).  Oxygen isotopic ratios would be useful to test this
hypothesis; but there isn't exactly an abundance of expendable
_Lurdusaurus_ material (especially teeth) that could be used to
compare it directly to _Spinosaurus_.

I still live in hope that one day we'll find non-avian dinosaurian
homologs of dugongs or demostylians in the Late Cretaceous.

Cheers

Tim

Cheers
Tim