Re: It's funny because it's true...

I wonder if radio would actually be a good medium for palaeontology outreach:
plenty of palaeontologists speak charismatically and enthusiastically about
their work, which makes them ideal candidates for guest spots on radio shows.
Without needing to produce exciting visuals all the time, programme makers
could allow scientists to actually discuss their topics at relative length, not
covey years worth of research in a few snappy sentences. And the pictures
conjured up in the minds of listeners will be just as fantastic (and perhaps
more realistic) than a lot of the CG work in typical palaeodocumentaries.

Try telling this to radio broadcasters, though.

--

Dr. Mark Witton
www.markwitton.com

Tel: (44)2392 842418
E-mail: Mark.Witton@port.ac.uk

If pterosaurs are your thing, be sure to pop by:

- Pterosaur.Net: www.pterosaur.net
- The Pterosaur.Net blog: http://pterosaur-net.blogspot.com/
- My pterosaur artwork: www.flickr.com/photos/markwitton

>>> David Orr <chasmosaurs@gmail.com> 06/30/11 2:28 pm >>>
My thoughts exactly...

Maybe we should bravely, if naïvely, be shooting for docs on
paleontology that do not rely on CGI reconstructions.

David

--
Orogenic Design: http://www.davidorogenic.com
Love in the Time of Chasmosaurs: http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com