RE: It's funny because it's true...(2)

> I wonder if radio would actually be a good medium for palaeontology outreach:
> plenty of palaeontologists speak charismatically and enthusiastically about
> their work, which makes them ideal candidates for guest spots on radio shows.
> Without needing to produce exciting visuals all the time, programme makers
> could allow scientists to actually discuss their topics at relative length,
> not covey years worth of research in a few snappy sentences. And the pictures
> conjured up in the minds of listeners will be just as fantastic (and perhaps
> more realistic) than a lot of the CG work in typical palaeodocumentaries.

The danger would be that the dinosaurs would actually get louder and noisier;
whereas on tv, they can run around on mute while the scientist talks about the
dinosaur.

> > Media engagement is not the problem. The problem is the media we engage
> > with
> > are generally idiots, and the prevailing paradigm for palaeo
> > 'documentaries'
> > is bombastic, sensationalist garbage. We should be aiming at David
> > Attenborough, whereas at the moment we seem to be quite happy to work
> > with
> > Michael Bay. Maybe we should demand, if not creative control over our
> > public
> > image, then at least creative veto.

  And then the media will say "well, thanks for your time" and pay someone else
to talk about the dinosaur on their program.

 I think there's a paleontology channel in development; but until then, Mr.
Attenborough has an advantage over pretty much any of us: he came to public
prominence thanks to nature programs and channels who cared about their
subjects   (though I wonder if he ever said "guys, I really think we've done
the big-cat-tears-open-prey-on-camera enough this month" or muttered about how
much the gorillas were charging the cameras)