Re: It's funny because it's true...

ok. point taken.
On Jun 30, 2011, at 4:23 PM, Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. wrote:

From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]
On Behalf Of Bob Tess
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2011 4:15 PM

One of the problems is that now, everything MUST be 3D
digital and that is the budget eater.
Once they pay to animate a model, they are going to make it
do showy stuff, whether it could or not.
I remember with some fondness the days when they filled up
the show with paleontologists telling it like it is and 2D
artwork that actually illustrated and advanced the point of the show.
Now it is all just 3D animation for animation's sake.

Tess

Here, here!!!

If only we could go back to things like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsqQ3qw8olo&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAPWYajXlAg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hQm9sLhdbM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDwrxYOy0AY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvHsOVQ5uSA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFkc3Yq2mfs&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNGMkb8UQtQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U860abmsRdI&feature=related

Sure, there are some of the same problems we have with the 3D stuff, but you got far FAR more taxonomic diversity, better character designs, and you wouldn't get the complaint "but we're not budgeted for feathers/fur"...

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/