Re: What did Spinosaurus eat? New species of Lepidotes found

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 6:48 AM, Augusto Haro <augustoharo@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a little difficulty in viewing gharial-like or Crocodylus-like
> fish-catching lateral movements in spinosaurs: spinosaur snouts are
> more laterally compressed than crocodile skulls, which are more
> dorsoventrally compressed, and better for lateral motion.

Yes - and I don't want to overstate the gavial comparison.  Although
IMHO it's a better analog for spinosaurs than the heron.

The mediolateral compression of spinosaur rostra is better adapted for
resisting the dorsoventral bending and torsional forces incurred when
feeding on large prey.   However, the cost is that it slows down
(i.e., increases drag) during a lateral head sweep underwater - so I
agree with you here.  Plus, the spinosaur skull is tall and narrow
overall, which wouldn't help either.  So I think you've convinced me
that a gavial-like lateral sweep would not have worked as well in
spinosaurs.

Cheers

Tim