Re: GSP statement on use of my dinosaur restorations

Hello Heinrich,

There is a major difference between committing a major case of academic
fraud, and the gradual incorporation of knowledge published in peer
reviewed literature into future works.

The basis of science is the public transmission of information and its
reuse. I would guess that Mr. Paul is pleased to have had such
influence on future artists.

That said, it is extremely problematic to have artistic works
essentially duplicated for commercial purposes. This is clearly
unacceptable.

One thing I find difficult is the boundary between these two areas: At
what point do basic features such as basic proportions enter the arena
of public knowledges? At what point does the use of such information
undermine the viability of careers or the painstaking work of primary
reconstructions (ignoring copyright for the moment)?

I may be dreaming, but it would be great if there was a union of
paleoartists that was strong enough to pursue the occasional
litigation, set approximate wages and also ensured that some basic
elements of reconstructions were clearly within the public domain.

-Jonas Weselake-George