Re: What did Spinosaurus eat? New species of Lepidotes found

Le 04/03/2011 12:37, Augusto Haro a écrit :
2011/3/4 Andreas Johansson<andreasj@gmail.com>:
I thought *Dimetrodon* was among the largest "pelycosaurs"? Which ones
are much larger?

Cotylorhynchus, and I do not remember if other caseids...

Indeed. A length of about 6 meters has been estimated by Olson (1966 if I remember well) for *Cotylorhynchus hancocki* by comparison with *Cotylorhynchus romeri* of which several subcomplete skeletons are available. For the longest *Dimetrodon*... I think it is *D. angelensis* described by Olson (1962) with an estimat'ed skull length of 58 cms. I just have to check Romer and Price's monograph (1940) to estimate its length given the postcranial measurements provided by Olson.

Cheers,
Jocelyn