Re: GSP statement on use of my dinosaur restorations

Yes, and it came close, with great rapport and understanding and Mike Skrepnick at the helm -but foundered due to the efforts of the same artists who attempted to sue IU Press- who called it a power grab. Any of you who know Mike can probably understand how unfounded that is. Yet it made it possible for him to continue the effort.

Tess

On Mar 4, 2011, at 1:59 PM, mkirkaldy@aol.com wrote:

Wasn't there an attempt to organize a paleoart guild a few years back--maybe at SVP?

Mary

-----Original Message-----
From: David Orr <chasmosaurs@gmail.com>
To: vrtpaleo@usc.edu; dinosaur@usc.edu
Sent: Fri, Mar 4, 2011 12:20 pm
Subject: Re: GSP statement on use of my dinosaur restorations

If anyone wants to bring this conversation into public, I'll happily
give space on my blog for this discussion, either in the form of
interviews or guest posts. I also suggest pitching this as a
discussion topic at the next ScienceOnline conference - Glendon Mellow
has been moderating panels there for a few years about art and
science, so there's precedent for this sort of subject there. Many of
the big science bloggers (and scientist-bloggers) attend, and I
personally found the experience invaluable this year. This isn't a
web-only issue, but it's certainly part of the landscape the web is
changing so much. And if one of the legends of paleoart was part of
it, it would make a huge impact, I'm sure. Just something to consider,
another way to flesh things out. Pun intended.

If you want to check out my ScienceOnline coverage, find it with this
one simple link: http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/search/label/scio11

David Orr