Re: GSP statement on use of my dinosaur restorations (follow up)

I would like to add my two cents to this debate (that is getting increasingly muddled). It is also a reflection of the rather frustrating times we are living...

Not long ago I saw in Prehistoric Times that Safari had made a miniature exact replica of one of my Oviraptor paintings (to the last detail including color patterns, posture, etc). I was amused of course, but thought pertinent to send them a note saying that the least they could have done is to give me some credit... they wrote me back apologizing profusely and sending me two boxes of toys... I was amused so I had to let go of any further quarreling. Anything that makes me smile these days is a plus.

However, what I don't find amusing is when scoundrel companies like Ticktock Media a) Hijack quite a few pieces of my artwork, make several books with them and I receive no payment (despite me repeatedly sending invoices and threatening letters). b) Modify my artwork without permission. Usborne Publishing had done so and again in Ticktock Media, a Photoshop idiot idiot dared to destroy the legs of my Megatherium I'd done in order to "sit it down".

These agencies know that legal actions require an amount of funds I do not have. This is the kind of misuse of my artwork that I find intolerable, and here in England I think we are more at the mercy of these exploiters.

I could continue with the list of atrocities. However, I would never consider asking for payment for "influencing" the work of many young or not too young artists, students and the lot... and academics know that I'm grateful if I get any payment if there is money available, but will gladly work for free for any of them. It is a privilege to get recognized that way. It is also important to keep the human perspective to things.

I also find the field of scientific illustration tricky... is there any financial code for "fair" scientific usage of research? Where does the fair scientific reference usage finishes and pure personal "art and creativity" rights begins? I am not a PhD nor a professional scientist, but a good part of Greg Paul's work IS technical and IS science that might need to be used as reference. Are scientists going to start charging the artists for their efforts and services? Is "Giganotosaurus" going to become a brand? Should we be paying Mike Taylor for usage of one of "his" sauropods (after all he had done all the preparation and description of the animal)? I think everybody should at least be decent enough to credit the original authors and researchers (and normally it is done) if only out of respect. But can the public, students and artists >pay< them? Are we not in danger of general creative paralysis?

I also think scientific work would be better remunerated in order not to have this discussion... but it never is isn't it?

But regarding publishers and all those that >can< pay...I'm very much for syndicalism...any takers? Paleo Artists Of The World Unite?!