Cold winters for Jehol dinosaurs during Early Cretaceous explain feathers?

From: Ben Creisler
bh480@scn.org

This news story is out in French and Spanish news sources, but I haven't
found an English language version yet. I'll post a link and the full
abstract as soon as the article is available on the PNAS site.

Romain Amiot, Xu Wang, Zhonghe Zhou, Xiaolin Wang, Eric Buffetaut,
Christophe Lécuyer, Zhongli Ding, Frédéric Fluteau, Tsuyoshi Hibino, Nao
Kusuhashi, Jinyou Mo, Varavudh Suteethorn, Yuanqing Wang, Xing Xu, and
Fusong Zhang (2011).
Oxygen isotopes of East Asian dinosaurs reveal exceptionally cold Early
Cretaceous climates.
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. (advance publication)

http://www2.cnrs.fr/presse/communique/2125.htm

A team of French, Chinese, Japanese, and Thai scientists says that oxygen
istopes from teeth and bones of dinosaurs, mammals, and reptiles that lived
in the Jehol region during the Early Cretaceous indicate that the local
climate was temperate, not tropical, and more similar to the modern Beijing
region. During the cold winters,  turtles and lizards hiberated. The
feathers on dinosaurs would have helped keep them warm during the colder
months.

mail2web LIVE ? Free email based on Microsoft® Exchange technology -
http://link.mail2web.com/LIVE